Thursday, May 01, 2008

Bukowski arrrggh

Every guy from the age of 18 to approximately 24 has a weird, deviant fascination with Charles Bukowski. They say things like, "He's the voice of a generation", "He's raw", "He's honest and I want to be like him when I grow old".

I like Bukowski, I enjoy his simplistic writing style, his comical descriptions of his women and their flatulence. He's funny and he romanticizes a down and out, lonely and alcohol fueled culture. Here is his wiki page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

I'm hyper critical of him due to his misogyny, his treatment of women and in a way it teaches young men that it's okay to treat women in such a foul manner. He's one of those great artist that really blurred the line between his personal life and his very personal works of fiction.

I am a proponent of literature and anything that really inspires people to read, so if you like him more power to you. I am confused by his brilliance and don't really understand where the real him and the fictional character he created of himself begin and end.

Here is a great clip you should check out. San Pedro represent.

No comments: